Secret Army - The Great Belgian & French Escapes
A true story of daring, popularised in Secret Army and ‘Allo ‘Allo...
- Led by Guy Walters, an expert on this secret war and author of The Real Great Escape
- Hear the true story of the Allied Escape lines, popularised in the BBC drama Secret Army and well-loved comedy ‘Allo ‘Allo
- Enjoy a gentle walk in the dramatic scenery of the Pyrenees, retracing the mountain route taken by those evading capture by the Nazis
When an Allied airman was shot down over Occupied Europe, his first duty was to evade capture. Lacking food, civilian clothing, papers, and linguistic skills, this was a nearly impossible task. Many downed flyers were indeed swiftly tracked down, doomed to spend the rest of the war behind barbed wire. However, within two years, resistance groups in Holland, Belgium, and France had become established. Their aim? To spirit these airmen, and others, through the Low Countries and France, over the Pyrenees, and away to the safety of neutral Spain.
By far the most famous of these vital organisations was called the Comet Line, founded by a remarkably brave young woman called Andrée de Jongh, nicknamed ‘Dédée’. In this unique tour led by Guy Walters, the author of The Real Great Escape, we will be following the route of the Comet Line from Brussels through Flanders and northern France, and then on to Paris and Bilbao. We visit safe houses in both capitals and key locations en route, explore the foothills of the Pyrenees and retrace some of the exact footsteps made by the airmen and their resistance helpers over the mountain range. While we will be travelling in comfort, this promises to be a tour that will reveal the huge hardships endured by so many brave men and women as they struggled not only for their own personal freedoms, but for those of their countries too.
- Tour Manager
- Flights - Flights London to Brussels; Bilbao to London
- Meals - All meals included with wine at lunch and dinner
- Hotels - 5 nights in 3/4* hotels in Brussels, Paris and Saint Jean de Luz