Languedoc - Cathars & Crusaders with Andante Travels
Knights, saints and sinners in a battle for Medieval hearts and minds…
- Enjoy a special traditional performance by a trobairitz – or female troubadour
- Wander around the charming commune of Cordes-sur-Ciel, perched high above the clouds
- Pay a visit to the Cistercian abbey of Fontfroide and sample the fantastic wine produced there
The Languedoc experienced one of the bloodiest episodes of the medieval era: the Albigensian Crusade, led by Simon de Montfort, which set out to obliterate the Cathar heresy and colonise the region for the kings of France. The land, beset by the crusaders, was one rich in history and culture. Unravel the truth about Cathars, Templars and the Holy Grail – exploring the story of the Languedoc before, during and after the crusade.
Discover the world of the troubadours, whose poetry and song were famous across Europe, and meet the fiercely independent local lords who were their patrons, and who fought to defend the strongholds of the Languedoc from the northern French crusaders. Learn of the rise of the Cathar faith, and of the beliefs and experiences of the women and men who adhered to it, and of the crusading knights who laid siege to the castles and fortress-towns of the region. Join us as we visit the great abbeys of the monks and the palaces of the bishops, who supported the Crusader cause, and discover more about the Dominican Order that was set up to combat Cathar heresy. Finally, we see how the region changed in the wake of the crusade, as the forceful ambition of Capetian kings brought the region under the power of the French crown.
Historical Trips have joined forces with Andante Travels to offer a series of History & Archaeology tours.
- Tour Manager & Guide Lecturer
- Meals - All meals included with wine at lunch and dinner
- Transport - Return flights and all local travel
- Hand-picked hotels throughout the tour