- Spend time wandering around the beautiful Alcázar of Seville, with its rich Islamic artistic legacy
- Discover the magnificent Alhambra palace and fortress complex
- Enjoy a taste of authenticity with a traditional flamenco performance
For over 500 years, Moorish Spain – Al-Andalus – was the most culturally advanced corner of Europe, an engine-room of science, philosophy, mathematics, astronomy, poetry, architecture and agriculture that outstripped anything comparable within Christendom at the time. German writers of the 10th century described Cordoba as ‘the ornament of the world’, so in awe were they of its sophistication.
While London was still a collection of mud huts by the Thames, Moorish cities enjoyed street-lighting and sanitation, and their inhabitants ate exotic foods such as artichokes, rice, spinach, oranges and saffron that were unknown north of the Pyrenees. Much of what we consider part of our own cultural identity – anything from superstitions about the number 13 to the higher mathematics that helped men to land on the moon – stems from Al-Andalus.
- Tour Manager & Guide Lecturer
- Meals - Most meals included
- Transport - Return flights (UK only) & all local travel
- Hand-picked hotels throughout the tour